Save Hundreds of Dollars a Year Shopping at the Dollar Store
People keep asking me, "How much do you save by shopping at the dollar store?" So I tried an experiment: I tallied up everything I bought from Dollarama over a one-week period and compared that total with what it would have cost had I bought similar items at Walmart.
Here's the proof that you too can save hundreds of dollars a year shopping at the dollar store.Naturally, what I buy from week to week varies and the quantities and brands compared sometimes differ, but the idea here was simply to see how much you can save by shopping at one store as opposed to the other.
Some days, I will spend $20 at a time at the dollar store but this particular week tended to be more on a "as needed" basis.
What I bought at Dollarama:
- a box of medium dog biscuits, $1
- large imported 70 per cent dark chocolate bar, $1.25
- box of whole wheat crackers, $1.25
- bag of dark chocolate covered Almonds, $1.25
- bag of natural almonds $2
- box of 12 medium slide seal freezer bags, $1
- Reynolds Wrap 50 feet, $2
- long-handled cat toy, $1
- box of extra-large bandages, five for $1
- two bags, six pieces each decorator balls, $2 each, $4
- one tube Lypsyl lip balm, $1
Total before taxes: $16.75
Similar items I priced at Walmart:
- Milk Bone medium dog biscuits, $3.57
- large imported 70 per cent dark chocolate bar, $1.60
- Christie Wheat Thins, $2.77
- Great Value dark chocolate covered almonds, $3.28
- Great Value natural almonds, $3.18
- Ziploc medium slider freezer bags, 15 for $3.27
- Alcan foil wrap, 50 feet for $3.27
- Hartz cat wand, $2.93
- Band-aid brand extra-large bandages, ten for $3.97
- decorator balls, 18 pieces for $9.97
- Chapstick lip balm, two tubes for $2.67 or about $1.34 each
Total before taxes: $39.15
I will grant that you will get slightly more quantity-wise on some items at Walmart , but I saved $22.40 by shopping at the dollar store instead. Over the course of a year, those weekly savings alone would add up to $1,164.80.
You can pay a lot of household bills with $1,100.
How To Save Money on Healthy Food
397 Ways To Save Money
Gas Buddy Helps You Save at the Pump
How To Save Money on Lunch
Marlene Alexander is an independant writer and Dollar Store Diva. She writes tips and ideas for finding and using the best the dollar store has to offer.
Like this article? Don't miss another one. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook .