Google Offers Free Websites for Small Businesses
Now there is no excuse for not putting your business online. Google, in conjunction with web host firm Yola, has launched its ¨Get You Business Online¨ campaign in Canada, giving small businesses the chance to trial their business on the world wide web for free.
The campaign, which has been running in Australia and the UK, is designed to help all those small businesses who think that creating a website is too hard, time consuming or expensive.
The GYBO.ca program gives small businesses free resources to create a website, as well as one year of free web hosting and a $75 Google advertising coupon.
The motivation behind the campaign is quite obvious: if the business is happy with their website after their free year is up, they will sign up with for hosting with Yola and most likely continue to advertise with Google.
With that in mind, this is a good opportunity for small businesses to trial themselves online for a year to see if a website is a worthwhile investment that will attract more customers.
Creating Your Page
A website in itself is not going to win you customers -- you have to make sure it is a good website full of all the information your customers want.
- Don´t assume that the person looking at your website knows what your business does. Include a clear description of your business and make sure to avoid industry jargon. Use key words that describe the type of products or services you offer because this will make your business easier to find in searches. A good way to do this is to think of what you would type into a search engine if you were searching for that product or service.
- Contact details are extremely important. Use all avenues possible, including your phone number, email address, mailing address, street address and a map. You want the customer to feel as welcomed as possible, just as if they´ve walked into your front door.
- Provide a list of all your goods or services, and preferably include prices. Good quality photos of your products will look attractive.
- Include testimonials or reviews. If people have good things to say about your company, let others know.
- Make sure your website looks professional. You can pretty much throw the saying ¨don´t judge a book by its cover¨ out the window when it comes to business. You want the best cover possible.
- Keep your website content original. This will help to get you listed higher up in web searches because search engines often ignore duplicated information.
So get out there and give it a go. The chance to set your website up for free means you have nothing to lose, but if it works, there´s money to be gained.